Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ducks Can't Read

Or I can't count.  Either is a plausible explanation.

Everything I read about mallard breeding habits indicated a range of time for incubation of 21-29 days, starting from the point at which the female stops laying eggs and settles in on top of the nest.  I had figured 5/18 as the start date, targeting the hatch for sometime after June 8.  


Good thing I'm not an obstetrician.


It appears that what I thought was the first egg sighting was about a week into incubation.  Because on Friday the 27th, we came home from an afternoon out and -- because I'm very naughty -- I immediately went to check on the nest to make sure the Missus was on the case.  At first I thought she had gone out for an early lunch, but on second glance, it was clear that something significant had happened. No longer were there 10 perfect eggs; there were just a few shattered shells and wisps of feathers, and the mulch all around Cousin Itt was noticeably rumpled.



My first thought was that some predator -- a raccoon or fox (we have both around here) -- had found the nest and helped himself to a free meal.  And I felt somehow responsible -- after all, Mrs. Mallard had selected our backyard as her safe haven.


Investigating the crime scene a bit further, however, turned up some evidence that -- while gruesome -- did suggest an alternate scenario.  Upon closer inspection, we found two fluffy duckling corpses, once on the second step down the main path towards the patio, and the second, at the last step before the patio.  (No pictures of either corpse, I promise) They were the size of newly hatched birds, and did not look at all embryonic.  


This suggested that, rather than having been victims of a nest raid, they were hatchlings who unfortunately fell victim to Mrs. Mallard's Death March.  The bodies were along the most logical route from the nest to the pond across the street.  The steps are not easy for full sized people to navigate (particularly after a drink or two), and to hatchlings it must've been as daunting as rappelling down a sheer rock face.  In true "Mother Nature pulls no punches" mode, I'm guessing that the ones that didn't make it were the weakest of the brood, and the fittest survived.  Since we found no other bodies that day, the Missus probably made it to the pond with between 6 and 8 ducklings in tow.


And yes, I missed it.  


Having totally miscalculated her due date, I had no chance to observe the hatch or the march.  Which is probably just as well; I wouldn't have been able to keep myself from meddling with Mother Nature, and that never turns out well.


So now that the duck watch is -- sadly and anticlimactically -- over, I'll need to find some other critter capers to report on.  Here's one option.  If you look closely at the space between the two stones in the middle of this picture, you'll see one half of a pair of classic Chip n Dale chipmunks.  If this is Chip, Dale just disappeared through that crack, which appears to be their front door.  They were most indignant that I caught them, paparazzi-like, and scolded me loudly from just inside their entrance.  



I wonder if they'd be interested in some newly vacated real estate further up the hill.  Better view, and right in the middle of the action.

1 comment:

  1. Great article, Nancy. I was sad to hear about the untimely passing of the two ducklings, but very happy to hear that 6-8 of their brothers and sisters might have happily made it across the road to the pond. Wonder how many baby chipmunks those little "monkeys" will have. I can hardly wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete