Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Fresh Coat of Paint

Radicchio, kohlrabi, and peas in the ground!
Easter and Passover came early this year, but Spring took its own sweet time. In fact, March was a total bust.  Grey, cold, and way too depressing for any blog posts.

We started our seeds with optimism in February.  They grew just fine, but there was no hope of getting them in the ground outside until yesterday when they basically threatened to plant themselves.  

So yesterday, Mr. Mulch moved them into their new home: raised beds with a temporary greenhouse arrangement of frame and plastic sheeting because we no longer trust Mother Nature to behave herself.  Even if it is officially April.

 


Meanwhile, I had been nursing 125 spring bulbs that arrived 4 weeks ago, hoping they would still be viable by the time I could at least see the ground.  After savagely ripping up the tradescantia that had invaded far more territory than I had intended to cede to it, I was finally able to get those babies into the ground.  I generally only plant perennials (being at heart a lazy gardener), but I now make a rare exception for Gladioli.  They are so stunningly beautiful that I had to.  I planted 30 giants in mixed colors which will define the back border in our front garden, partnered with another 40 of a shorter variety in orange and a bluish purple (which I only just realized are the colors of Bucknell University, from which my younger daughter is about to graduate) winding between some bearded iris which live in the middle of the border.  Can't wait to see them all in June!

Finally, it wouldn't really be spring without the annual appearance of Mr. Mulch.  He showed up today -- with two yards of sweet peat int the truck.  But we've got this down to a science now.  He shovels the mulch into the wheelbarrow.  I dump it on the bed and return the empty wheelbarrow.  While he fills it, I spread the pile I've dumped.  Then I return and pick up the newly filled wheelbarrow.  Repeat nonstop for three hours, and you can quickly go from this....

Full truck, barren beds on the mound garden
 To this...
Empty truck, fully mulched beds

 ... which is satisfying in the same way that putting a fresh coat of paint on the wall is.  

It's not my favorite job, but it really looks tidy and well cared for and creates the illusion that we really do have some control over our garden. And that satisfaction mitigates (somewhat) my impatience at having to still wait for Spring to really get into full swing.

Soon.  Really soon.  All those hundreds of tulips I planted last fall will bloom.  Soon.  Just wait.  In the meantime, more mulch!

1 comment:

  1. It looks so nice and in the fall, wow, it's going to be awesome. You know, you can swing by my house after Pilates to do a little planting. :)

    Debra@TheCookbookDiva.com

    ReplyDelete